While my official racing season has ended until fall, I am remaining active with shorter runs and other strength training activities. Since I love a good challenge (and need something to blog about!) I have decided to spend my summer trying new things.
Why yes, I did just quote Dr. Seuss! The man (cat?) is a genius! Each week beginning with the solstice I will partake in some kind of unknown (to me) activity. I am not limiting this to just physical activity, but that will certainly be a main focus. I’m not going to plan it in detail week to week (I know I’m Type A but I want to enjoy this, not structure “fun”). Here are a few ideas I’ve got thus far:
- XTERRA Adventure Series Big Elk half marathon, June 22: This is the one thing I have set in stone. I’ve always wanted to do more trail running so this is how I will officially kick off summer!!
- Pure Barre: I have heard great (and difficult) things about this so I am at least going to try a class out!
- Crossfit: As into strength training as I am I have never attempted Crossfit. I’d like to at least take an introductory class and see if it’s for me!
- Hiking: This region has some beautiful terrain and mountain ranges. I’ve already started researching the area for some nice spots.
- Exploring History: Being in the nation’s capital there is so much to explore I haven’t even touched. Trips will include Mount Vernon (George Washington’s estate), a real visit to the Zoo (when it’s open and not just to run!!) and some other natural museum jaunts.
- Farmers Markets: Would you believe I have never been to one of these? You can stop laughing now.
- California: I have never been to the west coast so I plan on vacationing there later this summer to visit friends, yay!!
- Oh and before I forget, my friends tried to convince me to participate in this:
That was met with a resounding NO, but I will throw down some tomatoes at the Tomato Royale that follows and spectate my other pals for the bull run. There are things I will try but running with bulls is certainly not one of them 😉 . In any event this is shaping up to be a fabulous and active summer!!
How about you, anything you’ve always wanted to try but haven’t yet?!