Alright, it’s time to come clean. This blog is all about accountability right? So you take the good with the bad. And this has been a bad week – correction – bad couple of weeks. I’ve allowed this thing called “stress” to slowly creep in and it’s affected a few things. My focus, concentration, sleep and other habits. There. I said it.
Honestly, I saw the stressors coming a mile away and instead of veering left, allowed myself to drive right into it. It happens and sometimes you just have to ride the wave but it’s left me with a lack of motivation that seeped into many areas. I am ready to right the ship though! So in light of this “stress” thing, where have I gone off track?? Well, here are my confessions (um, a few of):
- I’ve stopped doing meal prep. I was doing well for awhile there. Grocery shopping on the weekend and prepping a weeks worth of lunches and/or dinners and snacks. I love to cook and felt exhilarated while doing it. I was making some yummy meals and looked forward to a packed lunch every day! One of the biggest benefits I’ve gotten from meal prep is a more balanced budget – in addition to the healthy advantages. Then lack of time and motivation got the better of me.
- A result of my lack of meal prep? Skipping meals (many of them, I know – I know!!) and drinking waaaaay more coffee than necessary. I cannot tell you how many times I missed lunch only to supplement it with a tall cup of java and the “promise” I will have a big dinner. Then I’d get home and not feel like stopping at the grocery store or cooking. Luckily I almost always keep some kind of fruit and veggies in the house so eating a bowl of strawberries instead of a real meal for dinner wasn’t all bad – but not a wholly nutritional day. Even my usual protein shakes became a casualty.
- Speaking of nutrition, I’ve eaten a lot of cupcakes this week. A lot. I won’t even mention the one I had for breakfast at work, oops, just did (they passed them out at a meeting, I didn’t refuse it). I’ve had more of these combined than total number of real meals. Seriously. And the chocolate candy on my desk generally reserved for guests? Yeah, I’ve eaten that too. And the funny thing is I am not generally a “sweets” person. I’m more a savory eater. But oh my…
- I’ve lost my sleep mojo. I don’t think I’ve been asleep before midnight a single night this week. And on a couple of occasions the past two weeks I’ve found myself staring at the ceiling at 2 or 3 am. Which just means I hit the snooze (more than once) in the morning and not at all on time or motivated to get to work.
I took baby steps this week to getting my body and mind in sync and back on track. Here is my weekly workout recap:
- Sunday: Chris4Life Scope it Out 5K
- Monday: 40 minutes of cardio on the elliptical + Planks
- Tuesday: Tone Zone at the gym. This was a new class that focuses on cardio, arms and abs and is taught by my trainer. OMG. Hurts. so. good. Still.
- Wednesday: Yoga for Runners + Planks. Namaste.
- Thursday: 4 mile Run + Planks
- Friday: Rest Day
- Saturday*: Cardio and strength training
The good news is because I love to workout (and have this blog!) even with a little stress slump I haven’t lost my workout mojo. Having races on the docket and already paid for is immensely helpful (one more week until the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile run!) The sun is shining and I’m planning on a Sunday shopping and meal prep extravaganza! I’m also committed to getting to bed at least an hour earlier than usual (my test for the coming week!)
I’ve recognized that even if I cannot control the situation, I can control how I respond to it. It’s all about finding the calm in the chaos 🙂