My birthday weekend has arrived – YAY! I’m thirty-nine and feeling fine. And it couldn’t come at a better time. This was a slightly tough week. I should have been tipped off it’d be a bad one when on Sunday I managed to turn my white laundry pink (insert sigh here). The laundry is ruined but the good news is that was the day I ran 7+ miles so the endorphins had kicked the happy in enough that the incident only made me chuckle. But I digress…
Stress was the name of the game at the front end of this week. I won’t go into the gory details of everything that drove me nuts but luckily I kept to my workout schedule which always helps. Then the non-snow spectacular that shut down the majority of the DC/MD/VA area Wednesday gave me an unexpected snow day and a much needed hump day of rest. I got to sleep in after getting the 5 am text, enjoy my morning coffee, get my hair done 🙂 and workout on my own time. Balance restored.
Then some sleeping in (you may see a pattern here, I like sleep!) and enjoying my morning coffee (pattern number 2, need my java!). Next, a high powered butt kicking workout with my trainer followed later by an 80 minute massage and 80 minute chocolate dip pedicure (chocolate paraffin y’all!). Then the day ends with a fabulous dinner with friends at one of my favorite Tapas restaurants. I feel relaxed just typing all of that 🙂 and mmm, Sangria…
I also thought now would be a good time to check in on some of my 2013 goals:
- Give more of my time: I officially signed up to be a Community Running Buddy for Girls on the Run DC. I am really excited about this venture!! I will be assigned to a team of girls during their Spring 5K in May and will run alongside them and encourage them during the race. I’ve also registered to volunteer in some of the prep activities leading up to the event. I’m considering becoming a Sole Mate for the fall and help raise money for this great cause. But for now, I’m giving my time and am honored and thrilled to do so!
- Travel, travel, travel: Well, so far in this young year I have been to Colorado for personal and Florida (Disney) for a racecation. Coming up in the months ahead more racecations in Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago, Virginia Beach, NYC, Orlando (Disney again!!) and some fun in the Caribbean.
- Logging more miles: Given I am engaged in the 13 in 2013 challenge, I am well on my way to logging more miles so hoping I stay healthy and able to continue my running ways.
- Set a half marathon PR: Haven’t come close to this yet but plenty of time and opportunity!
My goals seem to be on track and I’m already thinking about 2014 but baby steps. Here’s my weekly workout recap:
- Sunday: 7 mile run and stair climb (see previous post!)
- Monday: 75 minutes of yoga (tried a new yoga studio near my house with a 3 session new student package) – LOVED it!
- Tuesday: 5k run in 28 minutes, burpees and planks
- Wednesday: Upper body and core workout (triceps, biceps, shoulders and chest)
- Thursday: REST DAY
- Friday: 5 mile run (planned)
- Saturday: Strength training w/trainer (planned)
While I was catching up on my blog reader this week I came across the Spice it Up challenge hosted by Back at Square Zero. Between March 11-24 you are challenged to go outside your comfort zone and try a physical activity you’ve never done before. More details will be forthcoming but let’s just say I’ve signed up and my activity will involve “rocks” and “climbing” 😉
Lastly, I want to extend a special thank you and shout out to my amazing network of family and friends. What a difference a year makes! I am beyond grateful for all the supportive people in my life. You all have helped me become another year older… another year wiser… another year stronger… and another year better… So – THANK YOU!!
Have a fabulous weekend friends and LET THEM EAT CAKE!!!!